Sunday, June 17, 2012

Yamaha PM430E Solid State Mixer


Yamaha PM-430E Sound Reinforcement Mixer:

Solid state? And its not even discrete? What is this doing on this blog? I have to say I have a soft spot for Yamaha. They have made some of my favorite circuit-bending candidates including the VSS-30, the SHS-10, and it's big brother the SHS-200. So a while back I picked up a PM1000 and modified a few channels, racked them up and had a big grin on my face from ear to ear. These things absolutely rock! I do plan on adding some PM1000 channels to xfmr as well, but first I want to dive into its little brother, the 430. Now, the preamp section in this model uses an interesting Toshiba SIP IC and has two band inductor EQ. I plan on removing the standard mixing bus and making the 8 channels into straight up preamp/EQ modules. Then I will be installing a 16 channel passive summing mixer on db25 connectors that feed the master and monitor sections directly. It will be used as a sidecar on xfmr studio recordings, but it's main purpose will be to as the main analog front end /back end for location recording. The tube stuff doesn't travel as well and sucks up the AC so for something that may need to be run off a car battery, something like this would fit the bill better than my lovely tube units.

No comments:

Post a Comment