Friday, June 15, 2012

Getting Started

This blog will deal with all the original equipment modifications and rebuilds for the xfmr.org radio station. I have a large collection of various esoteric audio contraptions that will serve as donors for my own original and adapted designs. Most of the projects are going to focus on tube circuits. However, I am never one to follow trends so I likely won't be building much in the way of familiar circuits. Instead of building the same stuff everyone else builds already I prefer to have my designs all try to offer the world something new and unique. That is why I start with oddball donors from forgotten tape machines and PA amplifiers instead of using all new parts. I prefer to use older chassis and transformers as well as high testing used and NOS vintage tubes where possible and giving new life to vintage gear in unique ways. I always use all new wiring and electrolytic capacitors, but nearly all the rest of the parts are recycled from many places. I'd rather have these pulled and refurbished parts made at a time when they were designed to last than what passes for many parts these days. I am all about frugality and getting the most out of my investment. When I can use an Ampex or Akai Tape Machine amplifier for 20% of what it would cost to buy inferior parts new, I can stretch a small investment in parts into a wealth of useful and frankly quite amazing recording equipment. When you examine a design and can identify the parts that are being limited by the whole of the design, you'd be surprised at what you can extract from seemingly ordinary or even hated equipment.
So, prepare for a lot of wordy, nerdy, jargon filled rants and raves over many unknown and esoteric designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment