Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Time Lapse Footage of Akai Roberts Tube Monoblock Teardown, Desodler, and Cleanup



First up is the teardown itself. I am recording in time lapse mode at 1 frame per second. I have laid out the parts that I will keep and have thrown away the wiring and parts that I will not keep. I am using a Hakko 808 desoldering gun and a Hakko 936 soldering iron along with wire cutters, needlenose pliers, and a few screwdrivers.



Next I desolder and remove all solder from the joints, sockets, and tag strips. The solder is all sucked away by the Hakko 808. You can see me cleaning the 808 a few times to keep it working optimally.




And finally I use a chemical cleaner to remove all the dust, gunk, and filth from the chassis, sockets, and tag strip.

Notice all the parts I keep: hardware, tubes, sockets, jacks, meter, even resistors and some of the caps. Of course all of the wiring, electrolytic caps, ceramic caps, and tape-specific parts are recycled or trashed. The remaining parts are used in different combinations depending on what the amp is being used as a donor for.

2 comments:

  1. holy crap, could you do this mod for me?? I have one of these and would love to have it modified like this and am extremely not capable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I can mod one for you. I make three different versions. One is a two channel mic preamp/DI, one is an 8 watt Marshall plexi style and the third is a hybrid single channel mic preamp and 4 watt champ style amp. I convert them starting at $399 for all three basic module conversions. Plus I can add optional input and/or output transformers to the mic preamp circuits and optional wood tabletop or metal 3U rack mount cases. E-mail me: < xfmr AT xfmr DOT org > for more info and I can convert yours!

      Delete